03 August 2010

Internship Approaching

So I initially started this blog to just write down my thoughts during college.  I didn't really keep up with that.  Then I decided that I would keep a blog during my summer study abroad to Mexico.  I wasn't really successful with blogging about that either.  I'm thinking/hoping that the 3rd time is the charm.

I am about to start an internship at one of best hospitals in the United States, and do I dare say, in the world.  Boston's Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) is an overwhelmingly huge and prestigious hospital.  No, I'm not going to be a doctor.  At least, not this go around.  I will be studying there for the next 12 months (starting Sep 13th) to become a Registered Dietitian.  When I tell people this, I usually get the same series of questions that I will answer once more for you. Right here, right now:

1. What is the difference between a nutritionist and a Registered Dietitian (RD)?

This is one of the most frustrating questions.  Thanks to the media, many people consider nutritionists to be equivalent to RD's.  THIS IS NOT TRUE!  I will quote Wikipedia here: "In many countries only people who have specified educational credentials can call themselves "dietitians" — the title is legally protected. The term "nutritionist" is also widely used; however, the term nutritionist is not regulated as dietitian is and is not an accurate term to give to a dietitian. People may call themselves nutritionists without the educational and professional requirements of registered dietitians. A nutritionist is not a dietitian, as a dietitian is registered to a national board and accredited and a nutritionist is neither."  Thanks Wiki, I could not have said it better myself.  RD's deserve more credit, especially considering they are completing a certified Bachelor's program in Dietetics, followed by an unpaid internship that typically costs ~$5000.  Yes, I am paying to work for free.


2. Do you think I need to lose weight?


No. Yes. Maybe.  I cannot tell you because I'm not an RD.  Yet.  But even if I was, would you really want someone to answer that question? Obviously you are already feeling skeptical.


3. Do you eat healthy all the time?


No. I like milkshakes and cheeseburgers like everyone else.


4. How many calories are in ____?


I don't know.  I haven't memorized the caloric content of foods.  At least not yet.  I can give you a ballpark estimate.


These questions and answers may come off as negative/bitter/absurd, but don't get me wrong, I love all things nutrition.  I love how multi-faceted the career is... ranging from community health, clinical rotations, public policy, media, etc.  I love how I could teach my own father to lose weight by teaching him what I learned in school.  I love how everyone could use nutrition advice, no matter what their size, shape, or story.


I do not, however, love how expensive this internship costs!  I should be filling out loan applications rather than ranting and raving about my love for nutrition.  Do me a favor and eat a piece of fruit today.  Or tomorrow.  Make an effort.  The typical American diet is significantly lacking in fruit consumption. OJ with HFCS shouldn't be your only source of fruit!!

3 comments:

Kristy Dixon said...

I like fruit! I had half a pint of blueberries today with breakfast.

I love reading this. Keep going. Hope Boston is everything you hoped it would be!

Samantha said...

Aww thanks! I'm glad I have some readers now. I hope I can update often!!

Unknown said...

I read these in your voice and it cracks me up! :) Have fun and don't stress. Miss you like a fat kid... well, you know the rest ;)