09 August 2010

Pre-Internship Assignments and Money

My summer is officially over!  Okay, so maybe I shouldn't be that dramatic, but I recently received my "pre-internship assignment."  I just printed off this 20-page assignment that stands between me and my internship.  Lots of it includes case studies where I'm supposed to come up with a diet for a person who has a specific condition (diabetes, renal failure, etc).  Some of it is a list of medications that I must provide the nutrient interactions for.  Some of it is a list of the 20-odd different diets that they serve at MGH.  Looking over it now makes me realize how absolutely terrible my memory is.  I graduated a mere 6 months ago, but some of this stuff looks Greek to me.  Oh well! I wouldn't have been accepted to this program if they didn't think I would come out successful...right???

Another issue I've been dealing with is money.  I'm about to take out my very first loan for this internship.  I'm pretty overwhelmed and can't say that I'm excited about it.  But, I like to think that this is an investment.  I've been looking for a part time job, but I honestly can't say that it would be a good idea for me to sign up for a job before I know exactly how demanding of my time this internship will be.  Most of the internship involves 8-hour days, typically 9-5, Monday through Friday.

I just realized that I didn't explain what I actually do during the internship...oops, this might be pretty useful if you will be reading this blog!  The internship is broken down into rotations.  There are 12 interns, including myself, and we each do our rotations seperately, i.e. each intern will be working alone with a preceptor (an actual RD at MGH).  Here is the break down:

11 weeks: Inpatient Clinical & Acute Care Nutrition (working with RDs that look after patients in general medicine/surgery, pediatrics, etc)
7 weeks: Ambulatory Care & Community Nurtrition (counseling patients and learning about WIC)
12 weeks: Food Service System Management (ordering, running, and working in the hospital cafeteria)
1 week: School Foodservice (working with RDs in charge of developing menus for schools)
1 week: Research (learning how to use DEXA scanners, calorimeters, and different types of software)
3 weeks: Business Plan (proposing a business plan to be implemented at MGH)
6 weeks: Concentration Rotation (another 6 weeks in intern's choice of "Clinical" or "Managment")
6 weeks: Staff Relief (take over for an RD)

This is the general outline of the program.  I will randomly be assigned the order of rotations, so I could be doing Foodservice and then Clinical or vice versa.  We also have "Class Days" where we get to meet with other Boston-area interns and discuss all things nutrition.  Lastly, we do get a few holidays off, but very little compared to a regular school year, i.e. no "Winter Break."  Guess this is my first taste of the real world!

I will try my best to mention 1 tip/fact/topic that is interesting to me that you might find interesting too.  That way, hopefully you will get something out of reading this blog, if nothing exciting ever happens!  Did you know that you can determine your body frame size by the size of your wrist? I'm sure you've heard people say that they are "big-boned."  Well, measuring one's wrist can tell you whether you are small, medium, or large!  Here is the information (from NIH):

Body frame size is determined by a person's wrist circumference in relation to his height. For example, a man whose height is over 5' 5" and wrist is 6" would fall into the small-boned category.
Determining frame size: To determine the body frame size, measure the wrist with a tape measure and use the following chart to determine whether the person is small, medium, or large boned.
Women
  • Height Under 5'2"
    • Smallwrist size less than 5.5"
    • Medium = wrist size 5.5" to 5.75"
    • Large = wrist size over 5.75"
  • Height 5'2" to 5' 5"
    • Small = wrist size less than 6"
    • Medium = wrist size 6" to 6.25"
    • Large = wrist size over 6.25"
  • Height over 5' 5"
    • Small = wrist size less than 6.25"
    • Medium = wrist size 6.25" to 6.5"
    • Large = wrist size over 6.5"

Men
  • Height over 5' 5"
    • Small = wrist size 5.5" to 6.5"
    • Medium = wrist size 6.5" to 7.5"
    • Large = wrist size over 7.5"



No comments: